Peter A.K. Vetsch LL.B., Partner
Peter's practice is focused primarily on construction law, contract drafting and negotiation, and project administration and risk management advice. He has created and negotiated tailored suites of contracts covering all facets of execution of a number of different mega-projects, from conceptual design and bid phases through to construction and commissioning, and has provided strategic advice to major owners and contractors on the planning, coordination and performance of significant projects.
Peter previously worked as corporate counsel for a global EPC contractor, where he played a lead role in drafting and negotiating a broad range of engineering, consulting, procurement, construction, construction management, maintenance, turnaround and other contracts covering all phases of a wide variety of oil and gas and industrial projects across Canada and the United States. In this role, Peter also created and managed subcontracts and procurement agreements, provided ongoing contract administration and project management advice to operations and executive teams, and assisted with the handling and resolution of claims.
In addition, Peter has prior experience working in the construction department of a large national law firm, where he handled both project work and construction dispute matters, representing clients in all types of commercial and industrial construction claims, including those relating to builders’ liens, delay/productivity issues, defective workmanship, cost overruns and bidding and tendering disputes. He has also been seconded to a major Canadian oil sands owner, where he assisted in the development and alignment of a full suite of EPC/CM standard form contracts.
Executive Member of the Canadian Bar Association Construction Law Section - Alberta South
Member of the Law Society of Alberta
Member of the Calgary Bar Association
Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Project counsel to large pipeline owner with respect to the overall planning and execution of a set of connected multi-facility propane dehydrogenation and plastics polymer production projects; drafted, negotiated and implemented bid documents, engineering and procurement contracts, fabrication and construction contracts, technology licensing contracts and overall coordination agreements covering the various projects.
- Project counsel to leading global liquefied natural gas (LNG) owner with respect to the drafting and negotiation of EPCC and related contracts for the design and construction of an LNG export facility in British Columbia at an estimated cost in excess of $12 billion.
- Negotiated numerous multi-year master services agreements between large EPC contractor and various owners, including multiple use Construction, Engineering & Procurement (EP), Maintenance & Turnaround, Construction Procurement & Construction Management (CPCM) and Engineering Procurement Construction & Construction Management (EPCCM) contracts. Incorporated key risk terms and required flowdowns into subcontracts and agency procurement agreements with vendors.
- Drafted and assisted in the implementation of a suite of standard form engineering, purchasing, construction, construction management and services contracts for a large western Canadian industrial owner.
- Represented leading oil sands owner in drafting and negotiating master EPCM, turnaround, design-build, temporary accommodation and other agreements for use on new projects and existing operations in the Alberta oil sands.
- Represented EnCana Corporation on the sale and leaseback to Centre Street Trust of “The Bow” office tower; engaged in review and assessment of development, sale and leasing contracts.
- Member of contract negotiation team for owner's proposed oil sands project; independently negotiated agreements with vendors, suppliers and contractors of owner; worked closely with in-house counsel of owner to ensure compliance with owner’s internal risk guidelines.
- Acted for contractor and service provider in resolution of a significant multi-party builders’ lien and construction dispute relating to delays, cost overruns and payment and performance issues on a large oil sands project; independently negotiated and coordinated finalization of settlement agreements with approximately 50 subcontractors and suppliers of contractor.
- Acted for engineer and maintenance provider in project administration/risk management role and in resolution of large-scale payment dispute with significant Canadian oil sands owner.
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Construction & Engineering Law 2017, 4th ed.: A practical cross-border insight into construction and engineering law (Canada chapter), 2017
"A New (Judicial) Era for Alberta Arbitration Agreements: A Shift Continued by Saskatchewan Power Corp. v. Alberici Western Constructors Ltd.", Construction Law Letter, 2016
"When Good Facts Make Bad Law: TRG Developments Corp. v. Kee Installations Ltd.", Construction Law Letter, 2015
"Limitations Issues In Construction Law: Calculating Limitation Periods For Contractual Indemnity Provisions", Focus on Construction | Infrastructure, 2010
"Time is of the Essence", Focus on Construction | Infrastructure, February 2009
“A Construction Insurance Primer: Which Policies for Which Risks?”, Construction Business Magazine, 2009
“Effect of Consultant Certifying Application for Progress Payment”, Construction Law Letter, 2008
Douglas E. Smith Gold Medal in Arts, University of Alberta
Areas of Expertise
Business Agreements & Commercial Contracts
Year of Call
University of Victoria, LL.B., (Dean's list) 2005
University of Alberta, B.A. Political Science (With Distinction), 2002