Shaun W. Hohman LL.B., Associate
Shaun's practice focuses on construction litigation, surety work and contract drafting for construction projects. Shaun regularly assists with the resolution of construction disputes, including those relating to the Builders’ Lien Act, and has provided advice on a wide range of construction-related legal issues, including those arising under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Shaun has acted in construction and other civil litigation cases, both as lead and associate counsel, on a number of major disputes, including arbitrations, at all levels of Court in Alberta. Shaun has experience negotiating, drafting and advising on construction contracts on a variety of projects including major commercial and industrial construction projects in the oil and gas sector.
Previously, Shaun worked in the area of Financial Services where he regularly advised lenders and borrowers with respect to commercial and syndicated lending transactions including project financing, energy financing, equipment financing and real estate financing.
Member of the Law Society of Alberta
Member of the Calgary Bar Association
Member of the Canadian Bar Association
Member of the Construction Law Section, Canadian Bar Association
Contract Strategy & Negotiation
- Regularly provides strategic advice, direction and legal opinions to a variety of contractors and surety providers with respect to surety bonds issued on Canadian construction projects.
- Acted for a western Canadian oil and gas producer in the drafting and negotiation of multiple contracts related to construction of an Alkaline Surfactant Polymer facility in southern Alberta.
- Acted as associate counsel on a team acting for a natural gas transmission company in the drafting of project delivery documents with respect to an approximately $8 billion dollar greenfield pipeline to a proposed LNG export facility on the West Coast.
- Acted as associate counsel on a team acting for a major mining company in the drafting of engineering, EPCM, construction and procurement contracts.
- Acted for major international lender and a syndicate of other lenders with respect to a $252 million project financing for the development, construction, ownership and operation of a 138.6MV wind power generation facility in Quebec.
Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Regularly acts for various owners, contractors and sureties with respect to construction and surety litigation.
- Acted for both owners and contractors in various multi-million dollar arbitrations with respect to claims for delay damages, loss of productivity, defective work and unpaid invoices.
- Acted for the owner of a construction project in successfully setting the lien fund in a significant multi-party builders’ lien application.
- Acted for a major international contractor to reduce significant builders' liens and to negotiate security for such liens to be deposited with the Court.
- Acted as lead counsel on numerous trials at the Provincial Court of Alberta.
"The Collision between Federal and Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regimes on Energy and Resource Projects", (2013) 51:2 Alta L. Rev. 313, presented at the 2013 Canadian Energy Law Foundation Conference in Jasper, Alberta
Teaching Assistant (2009) for Corporate Finance and Securities Law, University of Calgary
Board Member of the Calgary Construction Association (representative for Construction Law Section of the CBA)
Member of the Young Advocates' Standing Committee, in Association with The Advocates' Society